Book Fuck Club: Fifty Shades of Grey
May 23, 2012 in Book Fuck Club
It’s time! We’ve all been waiting with our heads cocked to one side, all-consumed in a heady mix of arousal and wild anticipation for this moment. Yeah, that’s right. We’re going to talk about Fifty Shades of Grey.
Are you as chafed as I am? I don’t know about you, but I had to start lubricating myself with Desitin toward the end there, and I’ve most certainly voided my Kindle’s warranty.
Anyway, I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on this tantalizing novel. Let’s get right to it!
Here are some discussion questions to get things rolling, but feel free to discuss any aspect of the novel you wish to address:
- The author makes clever use of foreshadowing. When Christian bought cable ties from Ana at the hardware store, did you think it was for sex play? If so, did you foresee that the person he would end up using them on would be Ana?
- Ana frequently expresses fear over agreeing to enter into a dominant/submissive relationship with Christian and is hesitant to sign his contract. However, it’s not a legally binding contract, and Christian pretty much tells her they won’t do anything she doesn’t want to do. Did entering into a relationship with Christian ever pose any real threat to Ana? Or was she just being a bitch?
- During the bathtub scene in Chapter 9, Ana describes Christian’s erection as being “soft and hard at once, like steel encased in velvet.” Do you think this is an accurate description of an erection? If not, do you believe that Christian’s erection might be special? Did this description make you want to put Christian’s erection in your mouth?
- Marina DelVecchio at Her Circle claims that this book “supports the objectification and submission of women.” Do you think Christian would give her a good spanking for saying so?
- One of the literary devices that E.L. James uses in the novel is irony. In Chapter 20, during the scene with the ben wa balls, did you think Christian was going to put them in Ana’s butt? Were you surprised when he put them in her sex?
- When you found out that Christian was abused as a child, did you cry?
- In addition to Christian and Ana, the author introduces us to many memorable ancillary characters, such as Ana’s roommate Kate Kavanagh, that lady that cleans Christian’s house, and Bob. Who was your favorite?
- There will be a Fifty Shades movie made soon. If I were to cast the parts of Christian and Ana, I would choose Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart. Whom would you choose? What about the other characters? Who would play Bob?
- What are your predictions for the next book? (No spoilers from people who have already read it, except you may paste the anal scene here for us to enjoy if you wish. This means you, Azirel.)
- How much do you think Amazon will pay me for my Kindle Vibe™ idea?