20 Things About Me – Irish Breakfast
June 16, 2010 in 20 Things About Me
2. I am an Air Force brat. I was raised all over the States but spent most of my childhood in the UK, where my father was Base Commander. He sexually abused me.
3. I am the only child of two only children. My father is dead; my mother is on her fourth marriage.
4. I have been married for 17 years and counting.
5. I left home at 14.
6. My preferred pets are cats and gerbils. In my 20’s I owned a lot of snakes.
7. Previous jobs included waitressing, working in the rat-room of a herpetarium, bartending and selling knives door-to-door.
8. I now teach at a University. I teach on campus for one semester and during the summer take students to work on a dig in one of those “but aren’t they all Muslim?” countries.
9. I will eat anything if it is wrapped in a corn tortilla. That is not a metaphor
10. I will only drive standard. Anything else is not driving.
11. I claim Texas as my identity: I speak Texan, I wear cowboy boots (I wear ‘em well) and I can ride.
12. I spell like a Brit. When I published my first book I was given the choice by my British publisher of Yank or Brit; I chose Brit.
13. My son was born via emergency C-section eight days before I defended my doctoral dissertation.
14. I know 8 languages other than English: five of them are dead languages. Two I know only in their classical form so when I travel in the countries where the modern version is spoken I sound like a Victorian and people fall about laughing.
15. I am a Yellow-Dog Democrat.
16. I live in one state and work in another, commuting every other week. The commute takes two flights and approximately 7 hours door-to-door.
17. I read police procedurals, love movies with lots of sex and violence and watch only cable shows, with the exception of Justified (see #18).
18. Deadwood was the 2nd greatest series ever on TV. The Sopranos was the best overall, but in terms of bang for the buck I’ll take Deadwood. I own the complete 3 season DVD set and have watched it a ridiculous number of times.
19. I have been described as ‘prickly” but I prefer to think of myself as bullshit-intolerant.
20. I once stood on the roof of Hagia Sophia.